UK-SSGTI
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

can someone tell me EVERYTHING i need to turbo my car

Go down

can someone tell me EVERYTHING i need to turbo my car  Empty can someone tell me EVERYTHING i need to turbo my car

Post  jesseswiftgti 03/08/11, 10:32 am

hey i wanted to go high comp n/a but it just seems like alot of money for barely any gains so i want to go turbo but i want to know everything i need so i can buy it all over the next couple of months, thinking about buy that inlet off srd so the piping for turbo is easyer and going to buy turbo manifold for t25 just need to know everything i need, oh and is there a stronger head gasket i can use that maybe is a bit thicker to lower the compression like a tiny bit ?
jesseswiftgti
jesseswiftgti

Character sheet
first car: 5

Back to top Go down

can someone tell me EVERYTHING i need to turbo my car  Empty Re: can someone tell me EVERYTHING i need to turbo my car

Post  Ryan... 03/08/11, 11:25 am

From what I can understand:

Turbo (TD04 = £50-£100)
Turbo Manifold (£150-£250??)
2.5" Exhaust System (£200-300)
Piping (£30+?)
Turbo Chip (@10 PSI 185bhp IIRC) (Not Sure Think there £80)
Decent Induction System (I like the look of the K&N Apollo with a direct feed)
Oil/Water lines (Not Sure)
Intercooler (£50-100)
Blow Off Valve (£30-£100?)

With your piper cams and some other bits maybe you would have a bit more power?

Its not cheap but for the power increase its not expensive either Smile

Ryan...

Back to top Go down

can someone tell me EVERYTHING i need to turbo my car  Empty Re: can someone tell me EVERYTHING i need to turbo my car

Post  Almondo74 03/08/11, 12:23 pm

i think ur abit out on some of ur prices tbh

expect to pay more for the manifold, intercooler piping and probably ur exhaust unless u can make those things urself.
i was gunna buy a hydraulic pipe bender, for the exhaust and intercooler piping. just cus i can lol

the rest seem about right.
Almondo74
Almondo74

Character sheet
first car: Swift GL

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001716634958

Back to top Go down

Post  InstantCustard 03/08/11, 01:17 pm

I bought a stainless turbo manifold from eBay Australia, set me back around £250 including shipping, was great quality, takes a T25 I think, just couldn't squeeze it into a Mini Clubman.
Was told by Steve that standard cams would be better because you won't get the best from aftermarket cams because the rev limit is set to 7600 on Garndi's chip.
If you just want to lower the compression a little, I'd use Jimny pistons like myself, apparently you should get about 9:1, standard is 10:1, Vitara pistons will be around 7.5-8:1.
Atchi (miniswift) makes log style manifolds that I'm gonna use instead.

InstantCustard

Back to top Go down

Post  jesseswiftgti 03/08/11, 02:06 pm

going to be turboing standard engine

list so far is

turbo manifold from aus
t25 turbo
srd reverse intake manifold just for easyer turbo piping
garndi turbo chip
stronger head gasket but i want a thicker than standard to lower comp a tad
oil lines
will need a downpipe made

jesseswiftgti
jesseswiftgti

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  InstantCustard 03/08/11, 06:11 pm

Surely someone on here could reverse your intake for you?
Should be alot cheaper than the SRD one.

InstantCustard

Back to top Go down

Post  dominator 03/08/11, 06:16 pm

why dont you just reverse a std inlet mani
take it to an ali welder, its just the case of chop, swap, weld and a bit of finishing work inside with a flap wheel

didnt see that post ^ Embarassed

dominator

Character sheet
first car: renult 5 ts (1.7!)

Back to top Go down

Post  InstantCustard 03/08/11, 06:21 pm

dominator wrote:why dont you just reverse a std inlet mani
take it to an ali welder, its just the case of chop, swap, weld and a bit of finishing work inside with a flap wheel

didnt see that post ^ Embarassed

Sounds like a volunteer! Wink

InstantCustard

Back to top Go down

Post  dominator 03/08/11, 06:33 pm

to much on my plate atm mate
atchi sent me a part to repair weeks ago and still havnt got round to it yet
sorry atchi Wink

dominator

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  jesseswiftgti 03/08/11, 08:48 pm

yeh i could i supose i just unsure on boost controlers and all that other little things what about the brake vacum pipe etc will it still work when a turbo is blasting air in
jesseswiftgti
jesseswiftgti

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  hobo 03/08/11, 09:39 pm

i got a t3/t4 hybrid turbo technics wastegate manual boost controller suzukird cast turbo mani and 3" powerflow system for £600 witch i thought was reasonable i just got to pull my finger out and build the car lol
hobo
hobo

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Miniswift 03/08/11, 10:59 pm

Dan,

Your manifold from Ozland wasn't very good.
Flange wasn't straight and burr inside will kill turbo sometime soon.
It was good weld but Iain has it now and he has told me the one I made will work much better! I think he is trying to make me happy Embarassed .

Gary,

Jesse wanted to buy that ITBs off me but it seems he has changed his mind.

Jesse,

If you want to buy turbo manifold, I have one already made.
It will cost you £250 posted to you to suit Saab 2litre turbo.
It is same as what Dan(Instant Custard) got but different flange for the turbo.

I can make one any time I want as I know how to!

Cheers
Atchi

Miniswift

Back to top Go down

Post  InstantCustard 04/08/11, 09:33 am

Oh! Embarassed

InstantCustard

Back to top Go down

Post  Almondo74 04/08/11, 11:34 am

Miniswift wrote:Dan,

Your manifold from Ozland wasn't very good.
Flange wasn't straight and burr inside will kill turbo sometime soon.
It was good weld but Iain has it now and he has told me the one I made will work much better! I think he is trying to make me happy Embarassed .

Cheers
Atchi

how will the burr inside kill a turbo? cudnt it just be de-burred?
Almondo74
Almondo74

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  STEVEGTI 04/08/11, 12:59 pm

Admin

Character sheet
first car: suzuki swift gti

http://www.uk-ssgti.com

Back to top Go down

Post  dominator 04/08/11, 06:18 pm

no worrys atchi, im sure someone will have them
put them on ebay, my r1 carb setup went for £450 on there last year pirat

dominator

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Gedis 04/08/11, 08:34 pm

i was bidding for those =[ went till 430 i think... ended up with watanabe's instead

Gedis

Back to top Go down

Post  Miniswift 05/08/11, 10:50 am

Almondo74,

If you fit manifold without checking it, burrs will eventually come off with hot exhaust.
Then where do you think burrs will go? It will be saying "Hi" to your turbo finns. turbo finns are for gas not solid metal objects!

Like I said, it looked pretty but after inspection inside Shocked . Also flange was not straight. If you buy item, you would expect to be able to bolt on direct not to rework.

You can make manifolds quite easily if you have welders for less than £100. I think it will help if you have CAD skills, too.

Cheers
Atchi

Miniswift

Back to top Go down

Post  jesseswiftgti 05/08/11, 12:09 pm

atchi have you finished the itb's ?
jesseswiftgti
jesseswiftgti

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Almondo74 05/08/11, 06:37 pm

Miniswift wrote:Almondo74,

If you fit manifold without checking it, burrs will eventually come off with hot exhaust.
Then where do you think burrs will go? It will be saying "Hi" to your turbo finns. turbo finns are for gas not solid metal objects!

Like I said, it looked pretty but after inspection inside Shocked . Also flange was not straight. If you buy item, you would expect to be able to bolt on direct not to rework.

You can make manifolds quite easily if you have welders for less than £100. I think it will help if you have CAD skills, too.

Cheers
Atchi

i thought u ment the other side of the weld wheres its gone thro to inside, not loose burs.
god job mine doesnt have any burs in it. also my flange is straight, mayb u had a bad 1.
Almondo74
Almondo74

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Miniswift 05/08/11, 11:43 pm

Hi Jesse,

Gary is welding it up for me as glue came off a little.
I don't want to sell anything if I know it won't work well. So I asked Gary to weld it for me.

Cheers
Atchi

Miniswift

Back to top Go down

Post  jesseswiftgti 06/08/11, 01:18 am

cool can i buy the 1.0 gearbox parts off you now though? need to get gearbox done or i can just send you one of mine like we said befor? i need gearbox done pretty soon as engine is coming out for rebuild
jesseswiftgti
jesseswiftgti

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down