UK-SSGTI
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Info on GTi block

Go down

Info on GTi block Empty Info on GTi block

Post  Sparks 16/01/12, 07:10 pm

Hi everyone,

I am wanted some info regarding the G13B block.
To start with I bought a complete GTI engine from the U.K year. I had it opened up and sent to me. I asked the seller to keep the block. Although the internals are from the GTI.

Now in India the GTi was never launched but the G13B SOHC was launched here. Now I am building my engine. I am using the G13B block from the SOHC engine. The compression ratio of the SOHC engine is 9:1 and the one of the GTi is 9.5:1. I am planning to use the GTi crank and con rods but going to use the pistons and rings from the SOHC engine. Is there a difference in the pistons? What would the compression ratio be? 9:1 or 9.5:1?

Is there a point in import OE SGP pistons and using it in the G13B block?

Any info is much appriciated.

Thank you

Regards

Indrojit Sircar

Sparks

Back to top Go down

Info on GTi block Empty Re: Info on GTi block

Post  dominator 16/01/12, 10:57 pm

From what iv read on other sites, gti comp is 10-1 in euro, aus and jdm, not usa
You will need the gti pistons to keep the comp ratio
Obvoiusly jdm cultus gti are the best option if you are keeping 1298cc
They come in 11-1 mk1 and 11.5-1 mk2

dominator

Character sheet
first car: renult 5 ts (1.7!)

Back to top Go down

Post  Sparks 16/01/12, 11:07 pm

How much would a set cultus pistons with rings cost and what will be the fuel efficiency if we went for 11:1 and 11.5:1? What about the GTi OE pistons available in Usa? What is the compression ratio of those pistons and fuel efficieny? Can I use 91 octane fuel with the 11:1 and 11.5:1 pistons?

Sparks

Back to top Go down

Post  dominator 17/01/12, 10:32 am

9.5-1 in the usa
The cheapest way to a set of cultus is 2nd hand
I have a set that will be for sale but not until our summer
But with 91 fuel you will need alot of octane booster for 11.5-1, it will need atleast 97ron fuel or you will have issues
I have 3 spare sets of 10-1 gti pistons if you want to buy a set of them? You will still need booster to bring it up to 95ron though
you can get decent rings on ebay

dominator

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  dominator 17/01/12, 10:34 am

Forgot to say you will need the gti pistons if you are using the twin cam head
There are 4 cuts in the top of them for the valves

dominator

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Sparks 17/01/12, 11:10 am

dominator wrote:9.5-1 in the usa
The cheapest way to a set of cultus is 2nd hand
I have a set that will be for sale but not until our summer
But with 91 fuel you will need alot of octane booster for 11.5-1, it will need atleast 97ron fuel or you will have issues
I have 3 spare sets of 10-1 gti pistons if you want to buy a set of them? You will still need booster to bring it up to 95ron though
you can get decent rings on ebay

10:1 Gti pistons would do for me. The set you have, are they used or unused? How much do you want for a set? What are the sizes you have? I can use 93 Octane Gas with it and that should be sufficient.

dominator wrote:Forgot to say you will need the gti pistons if you are using the twin cam head
There are 4 cuts in the top of them for the valves

The SOHC engines we have here are 16V and also have 4cuts on top of the pistons.

Sparks

Back to top Go down

Post  dominator 17/01/12, 01:33 pm

They are all used pistons, std size, 74mm I will dig them out tonight and give you the stamped numbers for the exact size
£40 plus postage
I also have some o/s 75mm 11.5-1 forged pistons if you are interested

dominator

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Sparks 17/01/12, 01:57 pm

Okay and how much would unused ones cost??

Sparks

Back to top Go down

Post  dominator 17/01/12, 04:12 pm

I dont have any unused
Iv seen new vitara pistons full set going for £150 with rings but they arnt genuine suzuki, good for turbo though
Iv never seen new cheap gti pistons, iv no doubt they would be about £50 each, maybe more from suzuki

dominator

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Sparks 17/01/12, 05:55 pm

dominator wrote:I dont have any unused
Iv seen new vitara pistons full set going for £150 with rings but they arnt genuine suzuki, good for turbo though
Iv never seen new cheap gti pistons, iv no doubt they would be about £50 each, maybe more from suzuki

Well I found a vendor in USA, they have OE suzuki pistons and they are retailing them for about $50 each+ shipping. I would find out what the compression ratio of these pistons are. If they are the 10:1 then I would go for them.

Another thing I wanted to know, is the crank of the GTi and the SOHC the same? Or is it different?
I am looking for a GTi mk2 dashboard wiring and a cam belt plastic cover ideally upper and lower portions but just the lower for the time being would do. My upper is a bit chipped in one place can work for now. Any leads on that??

Thanks

Sparks

Back to top Go down

Post  gtpswift 17/01/12, 06:27 pm

The crankshafts are different in 8v and 16v engines the 8v carburettored and single point injected ones are hollow. However nobody can say for sure if that is a bad trhing in a light weight GTi engine.
I know they are lighter and will spin up faster and better but will they survive with high HP?

GTP

gtpswift

Back to top Go down

Post  Sparks 17/01/12, 06:35 pm

gtpswift wrote:The crankshafts are different in 8v and 16v engines the 8v carburettored and single point injected ones are hollow. However nobody can say for sure if that is a bad trhing in a light weight GTi engine.
I know they are lighter and will spin up faster and better but will they survive with high HP?

GTP

The SOHC came in 8V carb versions and 16? MPFI versions. People say there is a difference in con rods but the crank, oil pump are the same apparently. Someone from australia I know told me that the SOHC cranks are lighter and hence they are good till about 12000rpm but then one would need to go in stronger con rods probably forged ones with stronger studs.

Please guys I need leads for getting the cam belt cover and the dashboard wiring. Sad

Sparks

Back to top Go down

Post  gtpswift 17/01/12, 06:40 pm

The SOHC and DOHC cranks are different. The SOHC cranks are hollow.
I have never seen a 1.3 SOHC Multi point injected swift engine. I have seen a 1.6 SOHC 16 valve multipont but these are different engines.
GTP

gtpswift

Back to top Go down

Post  Sparks 17/01/12, 06:46 pm

gtpswift wrote:The SOHC and DOHC cranks are different. The SOHC cranks are hollow.
I have never seen a 1.3 SOHC Multi point injected swift engine. I have seen a 1.6 SOHC 16 valve multipont but these are different engines.
GTP

The 1.6 SOHC 16V engines have longer stroke. Those are the G16B engines. I am yet to find out the difference in the cranks. First I am going to try for unused OE pistons and gonna use the old GTi con rods and the GTi crank. My major obsticle at the moment is the wiring and the plastic covers.

Sparks

Back to top Go down

Post  Sparks 17/01/12, 07:41 pm

Okay, I spoke to them in the US. Apparently there is a difference in the pistons? There is something called a Marked 1 cylinder head and a Marked 2 cylinder head. What's this all about and what is the difference?

Thanks

Sparks

Back to top Go down

Post  dominator 17/01/12, 07:49 pm

There are differences in the mk1 and mk2 heads but im sure they were in the cooling, main inlet/ex ports and the cam area, atchi knows more about mk1s than anyone else on here

If you'v got a gti crank use it, they are forged, as are the rods
some 8v were 1324cc which im sure they used a longer stroke for the extra cc

Didnt the g13bb sohc 16v have multipoint inj?

dominator

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Sparks 17/01/12, 07:59 pm

dominator wrote:There are differences in the mk1 and mk2 heads but im sure they were in the cooling, main inlet/ex ports and the cam area, atchi knows more about mk1s than anyone else on here

If you'v got a gti crank use it, they are forged, as are the rods
some 8v were 1324cc which im sure they used a longer stroke for the extra cc

Didnt the g13bb sohc 16v have multipoint inj?

Okay so is there a difference in the pistons?
The G13BB SOHC 16V did come with multipoint inection.

Sparks

Back to top Go down

Post  Sparks 17/01/12, 08:38 pm

Ok so I spoke to this guy in the U.S just now, he has piston sets in stock. They are aftermarket. He has to brands one is IBM and the other one is Rock. They come with a one year warrenty. The compression ratio is 9.5:1 on both. The Rock ones cost $95.5 for the set of 4 with pins and rings the the IBM ones cost $100 for the set of 4 with pins and rings.

What do you guys think? Is it worth it?

Drop in your views.

Regards

Indrojit Sircar

Sparks

Back to top Go down

Post  dominator 17/01/12, 09:54 pm

Thats a good price, but you might want to question the quality
never heard of the brands
Do a google search, maybe ask on teamswift

dominator