UK-SSGTI
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

welded viscous coupling on the road

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

welded viscous coupling on the road Empty welded viscous coupling on the road

Post  andy b 13/07/10, 01:10 am

is it worth it or is it just a straight line thing?

andy b

Back to top Go down

welded viscous coupling on the road Empty Re: welded viscous coupling on the road

Post  stevieh6 13/07/10, 07:59 pm

its great on the road, me and a swifty are removing the viscous all together and replacing it with an extended mini prop made out of 4mm thick stainless.

Im more worried about having the rear diff welded on the road
stevieh6
stevieh6

Back to top Go down

welded viscous coupling on the road Empty Re: welded viscous coupling on the road

Post  andy b 14/07/10, 12:17 am

spot on then, that'll be the next buy after the loom and ecu then.. keep me posted on how the extended propshaft works mate, sounds very cool! also ive been in a old ford sierra with a welded diff it, it was intresting.. but dragging a wheel is costly im guessing.

andy b

Back to top Go down

Post  stevieh6 14/07/10, 08:03 pm

im not too bothered about the wheels dragging as its only going to be a toy not an everyday thing.

Im just a bit worried the back ends gonna fly out and kill me lol, but Garndi says its great as long as you drive well with progressive throttle.
stevieh6
stevieh6

Back to top Go down

Post  andy b 15/07/10, 02:17 am

that sounds very good as a toy actully, and the back end coming out is why i posted about a faster steering rack afew days ago, what are the characteristics of driving the car with just a viscous coupling being welded up?
also is it your car for sale on pistonheads?

andy b

Back to top Go down

Post  stevieh6 15/07/10, 11:23 am

Yeah thats my baby Crying or Very sad ive got too many cars and need some money to fund the new project.

Welding the viscous gives you a permanant 50/50 power split, which according to Garndi really makes the 4wd system worth having.
stevieh6
stevieh6

Back to top Go down

Post  garndi 17/07/10, 06:31 pm

Welded viscous is as good as putting a Turbo on your GTi, the difference is amazing!!!.

The standard VC is very inconsistent when using on the track (its all over the place!).

Drag racing it does stuff all! and your better off FWD.

Standard VC is nice in really wet conditions, your front wheels spin and you slowly move up the street...

Welded Diff...Just drive the car smooth and you will be ok, turn in is fine.

A quick rack would be nice as its very easy to hang the rear out around corners and its a short wheel base....

O'yeah do the 3 rear diff mounts they are as crap as the fronts, your diff will jump around all over the place.... will put you in a spin when the standard VC kicks in lol.
garndi
garndi

Character sheet
first car: 5

http://www.starkeymotorsport.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  stevieh6 18/07/10, 02:41 pm

but is there such a thing as a quick rack for a swift?
stevieh6
stevieh6

Back to top Go down

Post  andy b 18/07/10, 05:53 pm

Not that i can find up to now, but im sure quaife make diffrent rack and pinion kits, if your intrested i could ring up and see if they could make a limited run, they did a limited run for lsd's for fiat cinquecentos and seicentos so it could be worth a try.

andy b

Back to top Go down

Post  stevieh6 19/07/10, 09:10 am

yh ok, let me know
stevieh6
stevieh6

Back to top Go down

Post  dominator 19/07/10, 04:43 pm

i think there would be a few people interested in one
me included

gary

dominator

Character sheet
first car: renult 5 ts (1.7!)

Back to top Go down

Post  garndi 19/07/10, 11:51 pm

dominator wrote:i think there would be a few people interested in one
me included

gary

Put me down as well!.
garndi
garndi

Character sheet
first car: 5

http://www.starkeymotorsport.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  andy b 21/07/10, 07:53 pm

Whilst being messed around with on the phone to quaife i found this http://colemanmachine.carshopinc.com/product_info.php/products_id/62747/22370

andy b

Back to top Go down

Post  stevieh6 21/07/10, 08:05 pm

hmm, the fact that they've wrote the description twice doesnt fill me with confidence..
stevieh6
stevieh6

Back to top Go down

Post  Miniswift 21/07/10, 08:24 pm

Hi,

I think they did exist as Iain had spare one for LHD.
I shall ask him who made it. I'm sure it will be easier to ask him.

Cheers
Atchi

Miniswift

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan... 21/07/10, 11:06 pm

since im an idiot would someone mind posting what all this means Smile?

Thanks

Ryan...

Back to top Go down

Post  stevieh6 21/07/10, 11:50 pm

only if you have 4wd
stevieh6
stevieh6

Back to top Go down

Post  Miniswift 21/07/10, 11:52 pm

Hi,

What do you want to know?
Welded VC will make your justy constant/permanent 4wd.

Quick rack means less steering wheel turned for same angle of your wheels to be pointing. So let's say you need to have 2.75 turns to right to left. but with quick rack, may me 2 turns.

It can be bit scary when you are at high speed.

Cheers
Atchi

Miniswift

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan... 22/07/10, 12:21 am

Thanks im up to date with whats being said now Smile

i have big plans for my little swifty. Shes currently naked in the bodyshop having a full respray, inside, outside and engine bay!

i have already done the rear disc conversion (my name should be IVER, i mean my dad) and have some nice leather seats and a justy awd system (gearbox backwards)

Next is the gti engine that is not going in the car till it is heavily modified. Would like the good side of 200bhp. I'm good with paint, filler and bodywork in general but abslutely useless with mechanics which is where my dad comes in haha. Money is no object and i am wanting to only buy decent stuff! so if anyone is kind enough please feel free to pm me with links/info on what to buy. How i can reach high bhp, what turbo kit to get...anything, all advice is highly appreciated.

I'm a small fish in a big pond. This is a steep learning curve for me Smile

Ryan...

Back to top Go down

Post  Miniswift 22/07/10, 09:12 am

Hi,

If money is no object, you should tell Andy(Garndi) to build you G13B turbo engine.#
He will make your engine to run as same spec with his Oz car. It might have been 256bhp@wheel.
You can order Cusco to sell you front and rear LSD and so on.

I think final spec will cost you about £15-20k.

Cheers
Atchi

Miniswift

Back to top Go down

Post  stevieh6 22/07/10, 11:03 am

yeah, get Garndi to build you an engine, and buy the turbo kit off Turbinetech.ca, and upgrade fuel pump, injectors, rail and pressure regulator.

Then you just need to decide which ECU to go with.
stevieh6
stevieh6

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan... 22/07/10, 06:29 pm

will that power be ridiculous on the road for a couple of days a week driver?

How much is a Garndi Special? and does he supply the engine

I have around £3K saved up after 5 months of abusing my body with 3 different jobs haha. Will be all worth it though!

Ryan...

Back to top Go down

Post  stevieh6 23/07/10, 03:41 pm

id say money is an object then. the turbo kit on turbinetech is $3000, about £1900 plus postage and tax. i think Garndi sells the engine for around £1500 depending what bit you want on it, and a good ECU and tune is a good 1k
stevieh6
stevieh6

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan... 23/07/10, 03:51 pm

na, money is no issue. I have a second car (Toyota Paseo 1.5 16v) and enjoy my jobs i do. I have enough money to go out and enjoy my life as well as saving for the car. This project can take as long as it needs as long as the car turns out the way i want it.

Ryan...

Back to top Go down

Post  Spackatron 23/07/10, 03:59 pm

you missed out on a good ECU, i just sold my omex 600 + wirring harness for £800 which was an absolute bargin!
Spackatron
Spackatron

Character sheet
first car: 100nx R.I.P

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next